Article Contributed by
Jamestown Community College
The Jamestown Community College Alumni Association honored several “Alumni Nurses of Distinction” at a recent dinner.
The award honors those who have typified the JCC tradition of excellence and brought credit to the college through professional achievement and by exemplifying the qualities of an ideal nurse. Recipients are nominated by their co-workers and may have graduated from either the Jamestown or Cattaraugus County campuses.
“For 53 years, the nursing program at JCC has consistently produced some of the best nursing professionals in western New York,” said Becky Tyler, MS, BSN, RN, JCC’s nursing director. “Some of our graduates go on to earn higher degrees. Our graduates work close to home in a variety of settings including hospitals, long-term care facilities, doctor’s offices, clinics, and home care agencies.
“No matter their path, our nursing graduates bring credit to this institution with their professionalism and devotion to excellence in patient care throughout western New York and northwestern Pennsylvania,” Ms. Tyler added.
Recipients of this year’s Alumni Nurse of Distinction Award were:
- Charlotte Behen, B.S.N., R.N., a nurse at Jones Memorial Hospital in Wellsville and a 2010 alumna of JCC’s Cattaraugus County Campus;
- Melanie Luther-Shay, B.S.N., R.N., a nurse at Bradford Regional Medical Center and a 1980 graduate of JCC’s Jamestown Campus;
- Deborah McMillen, M.S., R.N., an assistant professor of nursing at JCC’s Jamestown Campus and a 1995 alumna of the college;
- Michele Orcutt, B.S.N., R.N., a 2003 graduate of JCC’s Cattaraugus County Campus and a nurse in obstetrics at Olean General Hospital;
- April Pettit, R.N., a nurse at Olean General Hospital and a 2010 graduate of JCC’s Cattaraugus County Campus;
- Dawn Pickett, R.N., a nurse at WCA Hospital in Jamestown and a 2007 alumna of JCC’s Jamestown Campus; and
- Jody Shely, B.S.N., R.N., a nurse at Lutheran Home and Rehabilitation Center in Jamestown and a 1997 graduate of JCC’s Jamestown Campus.
Receiving a surprise recognition as an Alumni Nurse of Distinction was Ms. Tyler, a member of the JCC nursing faculty since August 2011 and a 1980 alumna of the college’s Jamestown Campus. Ms. Tyler holds a master’s degree in nursing, a post-master’s certificate in nursing education, and is currently pursuing a Doctor of Nursing Practice degree through American Sentinel University.
Since its inception in 2002, the Alumni Nurse of Distinction Award has been presented to 149 outstanding nursing alumni. For a complete list of award recipients and more information, visit the JCC alumni relations office at www.sunyjcc.edu/alumni.