Article Contributed by
Chautauqua Regional Youth Symphony
The safety of students are the number one priority as full social distancing and disinfecting procedures are in effect for all rehearsals.
The Chautauqua Regional Youth Symphony (CRYS) has started rehearsals. Students are happy and playing beautifully in rehearsals. Registration is accepted all through the Fall season and can be found on the CRYS website www.cryouthsymphony.com
An up to date rehearsal and performance calendar can also be found on the website. While CRYS is open to all orchestral instruments; strings, woodwinds, brass, and percussion, the Chamber Orchestra this fall will be only open to string players.
Dear Area Music Teachers,
We are recruiting for the Chautauqua Regional Youth Symphony’s spring season. We are looking for students to play in our Prelude Strings group, Young Artists Orchestra, and the String Chamber Orchestra including woodwinds, brass, and percussion. The requirements for each group are as follows:
1. Prelude Strings – Beginner Strings Group
- Students must be able to sight read at a NYSSMA I level and be able to perform at a NYSSMA Level I or II.
- Students must audition. String Instruments only
2. Young Artists Orchestra (YAO) – Intermediate Group
- Students must be able to sight read at a NYSSMA III level and be able perform at a NYSSMA level III or IV.
- Students must audition.
- Full orchestra – Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, Percussion
3. String Chamber Orchestra – Advanced Group
- Students must be able to sight read at a NYSSMA IV level and be able to perform at a NYSSMA level V or VI.
In addition, Music Director, Bryan Eckenrode held “virtual masterclass series” where students were able to log on to learn about various topics including being a professional musician, how to become a successful performer, practice and playing techniques of string instruments such as the violin and the cello. The virtual masterclasses were held via Zoom Webinar. The sessions were recorded and are now able to be viewed on the website www.cryouthsymphony.com
Registration is open to all students in Chautauqua County and the surrounding areas. Participation and registration is also available to Jamestown Community College students as a credit-bearing course. CRYS students do pay tuition to participate, however, there is opportunity for financial assistance available for all students.
To learn more about CRYS and it’s programs for young musicians, email manager Rudi Andalora at firstname.lastname@example.org and visit www.cryouthsymphony.com or the Chautauqua Regional Youth Symphony’s Instagram/Facebook pages.