Article Contributed by
Art in the Wilds
The Twelfth Annual Art in the Wilds is returning to Kane, PA this summer and fine artists and fine craftsmen are invited to go to our website to view the show Rules and Guidelines! This outdoor, juried fine arts event will be held on Saturday, June 23 and Sunday, June 24 from 10 AM to 5 PM each day in beautifully wooded Evergreen Park, right in the center of town!
Kane is a small town in northwestern PA that is surrounded by the Allegheny National Forest. It is part of the Pennsylvania Wilds and PA Route 6 Artisan Trails and is a beautiful drive from any direction.
The 2017 show was a great success, attracting almost 6,000 visitors who purchased more than 1,000 separate original art pieces for recorded total sales of over $60,000. This year over 6,500 visitors are expected, and the plan is to keep the number of artists below 40. This ensures a favorable ratio of buyers to artists.
Artist satisfaction is a priority with us:
- Average artist satisfaction score of 9.3 on a scale of 1 to 10!
- Extensive advertising includes 40,000 show programs which are distributed in area newspapers along with newspaper and travel guide ads, rack card and poster distribution, radio and upgraded social media.
- Two thirds of the total annual budget is devoted to advertising and promotion of the show.
- Recorded sales for individual artists last year averaged $1785.
- Free nearby parking with easy onsite load in and out.
- Friday set-up and artist reception with free breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday.
- Artist awards.
- Safe environment.
- Twenty-four-hour security in a safe atmosphere.
- Inexpensive nearby lodging.
- Food vendors.
- Volunteers who provide booth sitting, answer questions and help with set up and take down.
- Five-county high school student art exhibition encourages future sustainability of the show.
- It’s Alumni Weekend in Kane – all local high school classes celebrate at the same time every five years so there is a nice crowd of buyers from all over the US!
Fine art, high quality fine craft, limited high quality prints and photography are accepted. The application deadline is March 1, 2018. Requirements include five digital images of recent work, one of your display and one of you creating your work, a copy of your artist statement and a description of your art process. These will be reviewed by three outside professional jurists and you will be notified by March 24th of your acceptance.
You must provide a white tent with 4 sides that can be securely anchored to the ground and secured at night. The price of our 10’ x 10’ spaces remains at $100 and the jury fee at $20.
Funding which is used in advertising and promotion to bring patrons to buy your art is received from the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts and the Kane Community Development Foundation, along with individual and corporate sponsorships such as the UPMC Kane hospital.
Please go to Art in the Wilds website www.artinthewilds.org to learn more and to fill out the application. You can also call, email or write to the above address for questions and to receive a copy of the show guidelines, rules and application.
A participating artist recently wrote, “Just a quick note to let you know how happy we were to participate in your show. The quality of the other exhibitors was exceptional and so was the way we were treated by everyone associated with it.”