Article Contributed by
City of Jamestown
Mayor Sam Teresi and the Labor Day Festival Committee have announced that the 35th Annual Greater Jamestown Labor Day Festival will be held Sunday, August 31, 2014, from noon until 9:00 p.m. at Bergman Park. The Greater Jamestown Labor Day Festival is a community celebration designed to honor the labor force of the city and surrounding area, widely recognized as the very best in the nation. All money raised is used to directly fund festival activities and support the host of non-profit community service agencies who participate.
Make sure to reserve a location on the lawn in front of the main stage to be in the middle of the fireworks extravaganza by Zambelli Fireworks Internationale, which begins when the final band, Two For Flinching, finishes its performance around 8:30 p.m.
“Get to Bergman Park early Sunday, August 31st. Pick your spot on the lawn in front of the main stage. Get some food. Visit the vendors and crafters. Take the kids to play some games. Then enjoy the biggest fireworks display the region has to offer. The only way is to be right in the middle of all the action,” said Jamestown Mayor Samuel Teresi.
People parking their cars at Bergman Park will receive a ticket to enter into a drawing at the Information Booth for a chance to win a $100 Visa Gift card that is being sponsored by Ahlstrom Schaeffer Electric Corporation. Ahlstrom Schaeffer provides electrical services for industrial, commercial, institutional and construction businesses. Parking is $5.00. The prize drawing will take place at 8:15 p.m. on the Main Stage.
Live music begins at noon and will be featured on two stages. The lineup includes:
Main Stage: 12:30 – 2:00 p.m. Teachers, Preachers & Trent; 2:30 – 4:00 p.m. The Bogarts; 5:00 – 6:30 p.m. We Speak Canadian; 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. Two For Flinching.
Second Stage: 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. Jamestown Harmony Express; 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. Razzer’s Jazzers; 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. The New Tenants; 5:00 – 6:00 p.m. Cindy Love.
The Food Court opens at noon with all profits from the concessions benefitting not-for-profit organizations in the Greater Jamestown Area.
Benefiting Organization; Vendor; Items:
- Bush School PTA; Bush Elementary PTA; Curly Fries, Philly Cheese Steak, Fresh-Squeezed Lemonade
- City of Jamestown; Gametime Sports Bar; Pulled Pork
- Eastside Family YMCA; Eastside Family YMCA; Hispanic Food
- Falconer High School Marching Band; FHS Marching Band; Kettle Corn
- Jamestown Babe Ruth World Series; BRWS; Italian Sausage, Fried Dough, Pizza
- Jamestown Harmony Express; Harmony Express; Ice Cream
- JHS Girls Basketball; JHS Girls Basketball; Hot Dogs
- JHS Marching Band; JHS Marching Band; Pies and Coffee
- Jamestown Riverwalk; Jamestown Rotary; Hamburgers, Cheeseburgers
- Mt. Moriah Lodge; 145 Mt. Moriah Lodge; Sno-Cones, Popcorn, Nachos
- Sertoma Club of Jamestown; Sertoma Club; Cotton Candy, Candy Apples, Slushies, Beef On Weck, Pretzels, Chicken Fingers, Onion Rings
- Sons of Amvets 726; Sons of Amvets 726; Chicken Bar-B-Que
- United Way of S. Chautauqua County; IBEW; Water
All organizations will be selling Pepsi products. In addition, there will be a wine and beer dining tent inside the Babe Ruth Baseball Field sponsored by Game Time Sports Bar & Grill for attendees 21 and older.
Chautauqua Striders will hold the annual Dan Feature Memorial 5k Run/Walk at 9:30 a.m. with registration starting at 8 a.m.
The Arts & Crafts fair begins at 11 a.m. and will feature over 25 vendors from all over Western New York and some vendors from Pennsylvania. All vendors are required to sell hand-made items.
Free Pepsi Bingo games will take place in the main pavilion starting at noon. Free kids carnival games including a bounce house by Eventz by Scott will start at 2 p.m.
The Jamestown Area Central Labor Council AFL-CIO will present a deserving member of the area workforce the George Ritzer Labor Award at 4 p.m. on the main stage.
Sponsors of the Labor Day Festival include the City of Jamestown, Media One Group, Ahlstrom-Schaeffer, Pepsi of Jamestown, IBEW Local 106, and Jamestown Area Central Labor Council AFL-CIO.
For more details on Festival events, visit the City’s website at jamestownny.net or call the Parks Department at 483-7523.