Article Contributed by
Jamestown Community College
Jamestown Community College has renamed of one of its buildings in recognition of the Ralph C. Sheldon Foundation’s long-standing support of capital and programming projects.
The Arts & Sciences Center, built in 1968, has been renamed the Isabella M. and Ralph C. Sheldon Center in honor of the Sheldon Foundation of Jamestown, which recently awarded a $1.1 million grant to renovate and upgrade facilities and equipment for JCC’s music program in the building.
Completion of the $5 million construction project is expected in January 2019. The project includes an additional 3,000 square feet to accommodate new and renovated classroom, studio, rehearsal, and performance spaces.
The Sheldon Foundation has contributed nearly $5 million to JCC since the college was established in 1950. The foundation assisted with construction of JCC’s Physical Education Center, Weeks Gallery, Arts & Sciences Center, Science Center, and Carnahan Center and has also contributed to special academic program initiatives.
With grants from the Sheldon Foundation and other sources, the third floor of what is now Sheldon Center was renovated in 2013 to create a state-of-the-art facility for JCC’s nursing program.