Article Contributed by
The Jamestown Christian and Missionary Alliance Church, located at the corner of W. Third Street and Lakin Ave., is planning a 100th Anniversary Celebration for the weekend of June 15-16. The celebration includes a Saturday evening service at 6 PM featuring the president of the denomination, Dr. John Stumbo, as the main speaker. A reception will follow the service. On Sunday, June 16, former pastor Dr. Woodford (Woody) Stemple will bring the message during the 10:30 AM service.
The church began in 1919 in a storefront location at 304-306 East Second Street. They purchased that building the following year and continued to meet there for 26 years. In 1946 they sold the building, purchased the present property, and met in the former Red Cross building on East Second Street while funds were raised and the present building was constructed. The congregation then moved into the West Third Street location which was dedicated in February 1949.
In 1967 an annex addition was added to accommodate the burgeoning Sunday School department. The addition also provided room for a fellowship hall and office space. As the congregation continued to expand, a daughter church was started in Frewsburg in 1979. In 2001 a third addition was made to add an elevator (liftavator) making the building handicapped accessible. Seven years later the sanctuary was remodeled, followed by a children’s area renovation in 2015 and most recently, a café area was added.
The Christian and Missionary Alliance (C&MA) is known for its missionary work around the world. Presently there are churches in 81 countries and territories. Approximately 800 International Workers around the world are supported by the denomination. Eight workers have entered full time international work from the local Jamestown church since its inception.
Former church members and attendees and the public are invited to attend all of the services. More information can be found on the church web site www.jamestowncmachurch.org or by calling the church at 488-3015.